Wednesday, June 15, 2011

6-15-11 Shoulders and Arms; Firefighting

Today was a very nice day for me.  I didn't have to work, which was fantastic, and I had my first interview with the Lincoln Fire department.  It's the third time I've tried going through their process and it seems to get easier every time.  I wasn't nervous till about 10 minutes prior and even then, it was more of an anticipatory nervousness rather than the dreadful type.  My interview was at 12:30 PM so I had to choose whether I wanted to do my workout before or after.

I choose before so I could go into the interview with a sharp mind and a sharp body, ready to go and answer questions with quick and concise responses.  I always feel that if I'm just a little bit fasted (still in calorie defecit) and had a nice workout that really gets the blood flowing that I will be at my very best.  Today was that day.

6-15-11  Shoulders & Arms + Ab Ripper X


Alternating Shoulder Presses:
Round 1: 10x45 lbs  Round 2: 10x45lbs

In and Out Bicep Curls:
Round 1: 16x35  Round 2: 16x35lbs

Two Arms Tricep Kickbacks:
Round1: 12x15lbs  Round 2: 12x15lbs

Deep Swimmer's Press:
Round 1: 10x35lbs  Round 2: 10x35lbs

Full Supination Concentration Curls:
Round 1: 9x35lbs  Round 2: 9x35lbs

Chair Dips:
Round 1: 20 reps  Round 2: 21 reps

Upright Rows:
Round 1: 10x35lbs  Round 2: 10x35lbs

Static Arm Curls:
Round 1: 16x25lbs  Round2: 16x35lbs

Flip-Grip Tricep Kickbacks:
Round 1: 10x15lbs  Round 2: 10x5lbs

Two Angle Shoulder Flys
Round 1: 16x25lbs  Round 2: 16x15lbs

Crouching Cohen Curls:
Round 1: 12x25lbs  Round 2: 12x25lbs

Lying-Down Tricep Extension:
Round 1: 10x35  Round 2: 8x35

BONUS ROUND

In/Out Shoulder Flies:
Round 1: 15x10lbs  Round 2: 15x10lbs

Congdon Curls:
Round 1: 8x35lbs  Round 2: 8x35lbs

Side Tri-Rise
Round 1: 18 reps  Round 2: 18 reps

Ab Ripper X immediately thereafter.



THE RESULT


Today was a nice change of pace from the first two days.  None of the exercises done are "big" exercises; that is, they are not compound exercises like a lot of pushing and pulling stuff from Monday and what I assume will be more of the same on Friday.  It's a bit of a "glamour" workout in the fact that it's number one purpose is to grow and strengthen/sculpt the smaller muscles that encompass the arms (biceps, triceps, forearms, brachialis) and the shoulder (anterior, medial, and posterior deltoid) as well as working in secondarily with some upper back (traps) and always needing to engage the core.  It's a fun day but that doesn't mean I didn't sweat my ass off in the process.  I swear to god, I lose 5 lbs of water weight each time I do one of these workouts.  Maybe that will stem itself as we progress forward with the work.

I think the most frustrating thing about this workout is the CONSTANT changing of the weights.  It's the biggest pain the ass EVER if you're using plate-loaded dumbbells, which I am.  I wish I could afford a couple of the 590 Bowflex dumbbells or even all of the dumbells from 5-90 lbs but these will have to do for now.  You could get a KILLER workout if you could instantly summon the weight you needed and never needed to press pause because changing the weight takes fucking forever.  I fell like this will be the only one that is a problem in this realm so I'm still not terribly irked.  Monday's workout was light on the dumbbells and I assume Friday will be too since you can't do GREAT leg work without BIG weights that no one has access to in the average home.  I am getting better at changing the weights more quickly but I fear there is a limit to how fast I can do it and it will NEVER be as fast as the video.  Oh well, maybe if I come across some money someday and feel like hitting a second round OR when MC2 comes out, I may invest in some new weights.

Ap Ripper was a pain in the ass again.  I swear, THIS is the toughest workout of the entire p90x lineup, NOT Plyometrics.  I was able to keep up with plyo at about 80-85% of the time on the first try.  Now two times into Ab Ripper and I still struggle to get about 50% of it done with the people on the tape.  I'm thinking about just stopping it at each exercise and trying to just bang out each set of 25 without trying to keep up with the participants but that would be extremely timely and could turn a 12 minute jam into something that lasts 30 minutes or more.  Still, I am thinking that I might do this in week 3, depending on how well I'm doing with this tape by then.  When week 3 starts, I'll already have 6 run-throughs with this workout and if I don't show decent improvement, I will take the time to actually destroy my abs and hope to god that I kick it's ass, over time.  We shall see.

Next up is Yoga X.  I am a flexible guy but Yoga isn't just about flexibility and I have a feeling that my extreme amount of soreness will adversely effect me to the point that I do a shitty job with the workout.  Plus, I don't have a yoga mat OR yoga blocks yet so I think this workout will be the weakpoint this week.  In the future I'll kick this one's ass; for now, I will submit to its will.

See you next time.

Also, I feel I did well in the firefighter interview so I hope that goes well.  What better way to test out a fully-functional p90x body than to get a career in firefighting?

No comments:

Post a Comment