Sunday, June 12, 2011

First post among many. For that, we can only hope.



THE INTRO



Alright, this is the first of what hopefully becomes MANY posts in this blog.  I highly doubt this blog will ever be seen by more than the random passerby in cyberspace but I hope that whomever that person is, they are at least semi-entertained if they decide to read.

I plan on this blog being the main source of my first journey down the road of p90x and it will be chronicled here on a daily basis.  I will fill everyone in on how I'm doing, which workout I did, what weights and reps I managed to do, and everything in general concerning the activity.  I have never kept a workout journal in my life for any athletic or fitness endeavor and I have been going at it pretty well since the early 2000s.  I never felt like I needed to keep one since my memory and my passion for the even was always enough to keep me going, which may explain why I almost always fell off the wagon even if I had been going strong for months straight.  If there is no mechanism for accountability then, as someone who likes to workout alone, I would inevitably quit or take a sabbatical for whatever reason.

Not this time.  This time, I'm going to actually keep a record of what I do and I'm going to destroy this thing.  I'm calling my shot right now, and all 3 people who end up reading this blog over the course of the next 3 months will bear witness.


THE PLAN



So here's how this is going to go down.  I'm going to start p90x in the "Classic" mold tomorrow (June 13, 2011) and Chest and Back is first up on the docket.  In addition to the p90x programming, I will be mixing in some of my own programming.  Not at the expense of any of the p90x sessions (which I will be doing 6 days a week without reprieve), I will also be adding 1 dedicated strength day on Sundays or Wednesdays, depending on the week, as well as at least a couple days of running during the week.

My main background is in traditional bodybuilding work as well as an intermediate skill level in strength and power training as well as some sports conditioning.  I have also ran and completed 3 half-marathons which has instilled, at the very least, a love/hate relationship with running.  Since I do not want to totally forsake these things in favor of p90x and because I don't want my gym membership to lapse while I do p90x, I am going to add a couple of elements of my traditional fitness life and keep them around to help me build my fitness in an even more well-rounded way.

Since I have Wednesdays and every other weekend off, I will be using these free days to engage in my extracurricular activities.  These Wednesdays will very likely be my two-a-day type workouts with a morning run and an afternoon bout with p90x and Sundays will be the day I hit the gym to do a 5-rep schemed strength program that features squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, and power cleans. I am thinking about throwing some rows and stuff in there but with all the back work done during the p90x workouts, I probably won't need it.  I will be closely monitoring myself for signs of overtraining throughout the process as I feel like my plan is extremely ambitious and I would only rate my overall fitness at this point as mediocre.

The point of all this is that I'm really excited about the next 3+ months and it's gonna be a blast even if all I do is talk to myself.


THE REST


In addition to this being about my fitness journey, I may throw in some tidbits about my life in general or any random musings I have floating around the ole' noggin here.  I don't want to be a "hardcore" blogger as I have a lot to do besides this but if I feel like it's worth posting, I sure as hell will.  Also, my language may get a little more "blue," so to speak, in the near future so if you hate seeing the words "fuck" or "shit" or hate seeing the lords name taken in vain, then I am truly sorry.  But not really.


Enjoy the show random readers, I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment